The past two days the kids and I have spent wandering all over the French Quarter. Today, as Dana's conference comes to an end, we'll start venturing into some of the other areas of New Orleans. I'm most excited about the swamp and bayou tour we have reserved for July 4th (I'll be on an extra close watch for Tiana then, Fiona).
We took the ubiquitous horse and buggy ride; our guide was wonderful and our horse a mule named Belle (but our guide joked that her other name is "Miss Pierre" because she tried to kick her former driver, but missed Pierre; I'm pretty certain I've heard that joke every time I've taken a horse and buggy ride in New Orleans). We ate beignets in Cafe du Monde, while listening to a wonderful jazz musician do fabulous renditions of multiple Beatles songs and even make "I've Just Called to Say I Love You" sound kinda cool.
We came across a shop that sells nothing but merchandise to "Save New Orleans" through one nola -
http://www.onenola.com/ - an organization created after Katrina to help raise money for the various projects around town, everything from rebuilding homes in the 9th ward (which is spearheaded by Brad Pitt, whose home in the Quarter we passed on our tour) to the New Orleans Musicians' Relief Fund, to help all of the displaced musicians. Daniel instantly fell in love with a "Music Saves Lives" t-shirt, which he sported around town all day yesterday.
Yesterday I took the kids to the Insectarium, billed as one of the largest bug museums in the world (how many can there possibly be?) It was gross and interesting and fun, but the highlight was certainly the opportunity to dine on chocolate chirp cookies (or lots of other buggy delights we wouldn't even consider); Daniel's face in the attached photo is priceless, but the cookie didn't actually taste any different from a regular chocolate chip cookie (it was just the concept of eating Mulan's "Crickee" that caused the grimacing). The butterfly garden was also delightful, especially since the butterflies were drawn to the green shirts Maddie and Daniel were wearing and kept taking a rest on their shoulders (though never when my camera was poised for a photo, of course).
Since Dana was involved in his conference from morning to night, with the dinner and gala topping off the week of activities, the kids and I took in a twilight showing of Pirates of the Caribbean in 3D and IMAX. Turns out that's the only way to experience Jack Sparrow.
Back at the hotel, I searched out a favorite essay from the npr program "This I Believe." Since we'll be heading to the Presbytere this afternoon to see an exhibit on Katrina, I thought it was the perfect way to help get the kids in the proper state of mind. I highly recommend you take the couple of minutes it takes to listen to Mike Miller read his essay - http://thisibelieve.org/essay/15381/ I've probably listened to it 25 times over the past six years (I play it for every one of my classes, when I assign this essay, so it's not as strange as it sounds that I've heard it so many times ;), and it never fails to move me. In fact, I think I may go in search of Mr. Miller. Would that be weird?
Well, I think I've hit most of the highlights of the past couple of days. The only other interesting tidbit is that July 4th weekend in New Orleans is the time of the annual Essence Music Festival. Held hear each year since 1995, the festival was held in Houston, Texas in 2006, when the Superdome wasn't ready for use after Hurricane Katrina the year before. Apparently, the festival has only gotten bigger and more popular since 2007, when it made its emotional homecoming. http://www.essencemusicfestival.com/ In addition to the multiple concerts held each night in the stadium, there are "empowerment seminars" throughout each day, and apparently the streets around the stadium are closed off and become a sort of street fair. Clay, I've got my eyes out for Beyonce! If I see her, I'll try to get her autograph for you :)
Oh, and the most exciting news of all... Maddie got a tattoo! Very simple and pretty - crescent city.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
"We're just trying to get back to abnormal." Love that!
Me, too. So perfect for this city.
Well, it looks like you've had a great couple of days! I'm hoping the tattoo is not permanent, pretty as it may be. Again, great photos!
Knowing how Maddie feels about needles, you probably know that her pretty tattoo is temporary.
Post a Comment