Thursday, June 8, 2023

Why Not Minot - and Mniwakan?


    Yesterday we explored the darling town of Minot in the morning before heading to Spirit Lake for what was intended to be an afternoon swim (until we arrived to find the pool drained and under construction!), some birthday gambling and a steak dinner at The Ranch, around since 1946 and considered one of the finest steakhouses in the region. 

    Our first stop was Scandinavian Heritage Park, started in the late 80s as a way to honor the five Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) that were the original homes of many of the residents here in North Dakota. While the day was unseasonably hot we were reminded by the locals, we still enjoyed walking around the park learning about the history and culture while goofing off.



 














    

    Next up was lunch at local favorite restaurant - and home to the most handsome man in North Dakota - Charlie's Cafe, and shopping in the wonderful independent bookstore that rivaled any I've entered, despite being located in tiny Minot.  The sweet clerk was initially apprehensive when we entered, and I started snapping photos. In fact, her first greeting was "Why are you here?" which may be the all time worst way to encourage shoppers! However, as we shared our 50 state story and I assured her I was only taking photos of all the fabulous inclusive Pride stickers and displays to share them with my sister-in-law who would love them, she warmed right up and we talked all about our shared challenge of finding like-minded people when living in conservative states. As she lives and works in reliably red ND, her sympathy for us having to live in Florida was palpable. At least her Governor vetoed the most outrageous bills the state tried to pass!  

    Needless to say, I bought a couple of books and will feel guilty the next time I undoubtedly use Amazon!



    Finally, we were off to "Devil's Lake," as it's called on the map and in the brochures available at every Visitors Center. Daniel was amazed to learn early on in this trip that "Uff Da," the expression he's heard me use for years, wasn't just a made up sound.  As we arrived to Spirit Lake and learned about the Indigenous people, the Mni Wakan Oyate (roughly translated to friends of the pure/spirit water), who originally inhabited this land and named this beautiful lake, I found myself "Uff Da"ing quite a lot!

    As the book clerk and I had commiserated earlier that day, we take steps forward through education. How can the state continue to put the exact opposite label on this peaceful land than the indigenous people ever intended?  Leave it to the white man to determine "spirit" must mean "devil!"





    That said, we had a devilishly good steak at The Ranch and finally hit 7 (for Dana's birthday, of course) on Roulette, surely a devilish pursuit, so I guess we contributed a bit to the debauchery.  A glorious sunset accompanied on our drive back from dinner and to our hotel, where we watched it from our hotel window.  What a peaceful and truly spiritual place this is.  



No comments: