Saturday, July 18, 2009

From Kona to Kaua'i



























































































































We've been out of touch for the past few days, as our Internet connection requires a stronger signal then our tendering distance from Kona or the less densely populated Kaua'i apparently allowed. So, first things first - Happy Birthday, Mom! Right now the ship has docked in Oahu, where we will spend the next week. The signal is strong, so I am taking advantage of these last few moments before we vacate the ship to say hello and post a few photos (fingers crossed - okay, just one photo... the kids contemplating the ocean with our Pride of America in the distance). I'll write a longer entry soon providing some of the more interesting and amusing details of our Kona and Kaua'i experiences. Oh, and to reference Clay's blog, while he was writing his review of Stiller's new film, we were searching for Ben Stiller's Kaua'i home. He filmed Tropic Thunder here. Not sure which came first (the home or the film), but we didn't spot him :)



As promised in my first Honolulu entry, I return to this post to fill in some of the blanks. Some of the more amusing details may have to wait, as I'm currently negotiating with Daniel and Maddie as to whether we may blog about them (Daniel, I believe, plans to share his own amusing stories in his blog... look for it :) We probably didn't give the "dry side" of the Big Island its due, as we booked no tour, rented no car. Instead, we decided to simply tender from the ship to the shore to see what Kona was about. That said, we all came away completely charmed by the trees, architecture, and shops lining the ocean's edge. Interspersed with "Crazy Shirts" (man, is that chain popular here!), shaved ice stands, and coffee houses (great coffee, that Kona is) were beatiful churches and what once was a palace of King Hallamalapupukalo (that's a joke, but I'm sure it's pretty close to his real name). First, we found a great spot to sit and watch the water and the ship, then we found a great spot to sit and watch two sea turtles just off the shore, as well as a few intrepid surfers who were tackling some relatively small waves. We shopped at a Farmer's Market and just generally enjoyed relaxing in Kona.



Kaua'i, on the other hand, was packed with activity. We arrived there Thursday morning and left port at 2:00 Friday afternoon. I think we saw as much of the island as is possible in that number of hours (subtracting the requisite 7 or so for sleeping back on the ship). We rented another convertible - this time a Ford Mustang, which Dana loved for its "muscular drive" (whatever the heck that means), and the rest of us ranked second to the roomier Sebring. We bought another CD driving tour (after falling in love with the duo who accompanied us through Maui). This boring lady needs to rethink her recording career, but she provided plenty of information, and the couple I gifted the CD to as we returned the rental car the next day were so pleased (despite my warning that the recording was far from exciting) that I was glad we bought it. There is one part of the island that can only be accessed by air, sea, or foot. We drove close to every inch of the rest of Kaua'i :) We saw waterfalls and caves. And when we drove to the top of the Waimea Canyon (quoting Nicholas Cage liberally throughout), we took short walks to some wonderful vantage points to see that inaccessible Napali Coast. We were actually "in the clouds" (which Dana felt the compelling need to point out, much as he did last year's bison) during some of these walks, and it was all as remote and magnificent as you could imagine. I shifted between anxiety that Daniel was going to fall (see above photo - no guard rails up here!) to exhiliration that I could take such great photos :) Later, after the shift left port, we were able to see the Napali coast from the sea, as the Pride of America sails right past it for their passengers' pleasure. Quite amazing. We ate dinner on the south side of the island, at the Beach House, a spot recommended by both my faithful Fodor's and a woman in Dana's office. The food was good, the views even better. I'll include some of the shots of surfers catching waves during sunset. This was one of the moments I felt most like I was in Hawaii.



We returned the car exactly 23 hours and 56 minutes after we rented it, headed back to the ship for a couple of games of Scrabble with the Napali coast as our backdrop (Andie, we thought of you :) and toasted our week exploring a few of these beautiful Hawaiian islands. So far, the kids and I like Maui the best, while Dana is partial to Kaua'i. I think the kids and I were swayed by Uncle Boi and Captain Aloha's charming narration of Maui. That CD I didn't regift :)

2 comments:

pegclifton said...

I just love those two little backs facing the ocean! Can't wait to read the rest and see the pics. Love to you all.

pegclifton said...

I just now read the rest of your adventure. How charming and beautiful it sounds. That Dana can really surf :)