
Yesterday morning, I cobbled together a bit of information about Obama's time here in Honolulu, figuring we could take an "Obama tour" after our time visiting Pearl Harbor. Alas, our 9:45 arrival to the memorial left us without possibility for tickets for the entire day! So... we were off to the Dole Plantation and my Obama tour. The kids have been "throwing shakas" since we arrived, so when I found this photo of Obama doing the same I just had to include it. Michelle Obama once said, "You can't really understand Barack until you understand Hawaii." I don't know if I "understand" Hawaii, but I've now driven around his neighborhood (Makiki), eaten in his neighborhood Zippy's, walked his favorite beach, snapped a photo of one of his favorite spots for a plate lunch (Rainbows Drive-in), and sat in front of the location of his very first job (Baskin Robbins on King Street). We drove past about a dozen buildings that might have been the apartment where he lived, but I hadn't searched out a specific address (if one is easily to be found), so we weren't sure. Strangely, his school was not appearing on our GPS, so we might have to go in search of it on another of our island drives.
Two observations: first, I loved how absolutely ordinary the majority of his existence here in Hawaii was. The neighborhood he grew up in is just minutes from the populated Waikiki beach but feels like a different world. There is no sign of the ocean, no drop dead gorgeous views (though I'm curious if you could get a glimpse of it from the 10th story where he lived). It was filled with barber shops and dives that pass for restaurants. I have also been shocked by how little mention there is of Obama anywhere. In North Miami, I pass by easily a dozen shops on my way to work that have their windows filled with Obama memoribilia. Not here. It's as if nothing phases this state - and perhaps that's what Michelle meant. "No Drama Obama" may very well be the state of mind he learned by growing up in Hawaii. I finally did spot one little shop, a locksmith of some sort, with the propieter sitting outside and a "Yes We Can" sign nestled amidst a bunch of other papers in his shop's window. I decided the 12 story apartment building sitting next to his little row of shops was most likely Obama's childhood home :)
My second observation is that as ordinary as his neighborhood is, his favorite beach is equally breathtaking. It is on the Windward coast, about ten minutes from his home, and it is called Sandy Beach. However, its nickname is "Break-neck beach," as dozens suffer neck and back injuries here each year due to the crashing surf. Somehow, the laid back nature of most of Hawaii combined with the willingness to take risks in the water for the thrill and adventure of it is making perfect sense to me. The drive to Sandy Beach Park is magnificent, all rocky cliffs and crashing waves. The beach itself is the only we've found peppered with benches, as locals like to go there to watch "the Show."
Our time at the Dole Plantation was fun, too. The acres are beautiful, James Dole's story fantastic (grew up in Boston, went to Harvard, came to Hawaii with $1500 and a horticulture degree), but the real highlight of the day for me was watching my kids frolic on their President's favorite beach. Today is the Polynesian Culture Center and what is purportedly the best luau on the island. Tomorrow surfing lessons for the kids and a dive for Dana. And we'll once again try to get into Pearl Harbor on Friday.
5 comments:
I'm beginning to think you should get a job as a travel writer. I just love the Obama connections, and your insights along with the great photos. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. Love to all.
oh, and tell Maddie and Daniel to be careful surfing, Dana too for that matter :)
Yes, great stuff. It's interesting how little mention there is of Obama, considering this is the first U.S. president to have grown up there. I'm sure all the mainland hometowns of presidents are overrun with memorabilia.
That makes me like and respect Hawaii all the more.
Do you have plan for a Forgetting Sarah Marshall tour as well? Might as well get it all in. Which hotel was that?
Clay, I think it was the Turtle Bay resort - they've already "been there, done that," so no Mila Kunis stalking for you! :)
I agree with Aunt Peggy about the travel writing. I love reading about your trips and all the interesting things you seek out while you're there. This is a really great way to learn about a place.
I hope Maddie and Daniel shred it up on their surfboards and Dana has a lovely time diving. I assume you will be taking photos of the intrepid kids at their lesson? I can't wait to see how they do. :)
http://www.forgettingsarahmarshall.com/
clip 3 seems to have been filmed at the restaurant where we had lunch. Clip 2 is filmed at their cabins right on the beach. Oh, and we swung by Turtle Bay again yeasterday. More blue stop signs :)
Post a Comment