Today's grand adventure was a 50 minute helicopter ride. A first for Maddie, Daniel and me, and the first for Dana since he was a child. I'll tell you, the helicopter ride was pretty thrilling. I love the way it lifts up and settles down, rather than the way a plane takes off and lands. It's much more comfortable. We all wore headphones and had microphones with which to communicate with each other and with Joyce, our pilot (one of only two female helicopter pilots in Hawaii). While we didn't see any of the red flowing lava (which we might see as the ship passes the volcano tonight), we did see some amazing stuff - black, hardened lava where an entire subdivision used to be, toxic steam of water and sulphur, waterfalls, macadamia nut fields, our very own "Pride of America," and a pod of dolphins were the highlights. If the Internet connection decides to cooperate, I'll include several of the shots we took from the air, as well as a few of us on the ship this afternoon, where Maddie and Daniel quickly became ping pong champs, I won (decisively) the family game of Scrabble, and Maddie and I took a lei making class, where we got to create two beatiful orchid leis to wear for the rest of our trip. All in all, we had a great day on the wet side (Hilo) of the Big Island (also known as the Island of Hawaii).
As we started our day, we were greeted with a beautiful rainbow over Hilo and telephone service that enabled us to call Dad to wish him a very happy birthday. Now we head off to dinner, where we will toast him :) Happy Birthday, Dad.
5 comments:
What a thrilling experience for all of you! I just love reading what you've been up to on your trip. I also love Daniel's blog and just made a comment on it. Hope you're having nice weather there. Love to all. Mom and Dad
I hope the internet cooperates so you can add some photos. I'm eager to see the sights you are describing. It sounds like an amazing trip so far. Can't wait to hear more in the days ahead. I am living vicariously through you!! :)
Great pictures!! I love the one where the lava is hitting the water. Very cool!! You all look great and like you're having a wonderful time. Keep it up! :)
Great pictures (though they're running together a bit in my browser... time to switch to WordPress!) ;-)
Just viewed the pictures--they're wonderful!
Post a Comment