
Today's big adventure was white water rafting in the Colorado River. We did an afternoon run that consisted of several mini "ripples" and one relatively intense Class 3 rapid. Rather than pay the 50+ dollars for the photos that "Moab Action Shots" took from the bank of the river as we went down (and up and down) that rapid, I'm including the link for you to check out the photos if you so choose. You'll see that Dana and I were leading the charge into the waves (?!) with Maddie behind me on the right side (if you're facing the boat) and Daniel sitting in the center of us all. He and Dana are both wearing red baseball caps, which should help you find us if you are having any trouble.
In the final of the six photos, you can see where today's blog title gets its name. Note to self (and others): Close your mouth when pounding through a Class 3 rapid. Otherwise, you will get a healthy dose of water that will not quench your thirst or stave off dehydration but rather nearly drown you where you sit, trying to remain planted on the raft, while your guide yells at you to dig harder (but your raft, and, therefore your oar, is a good five feet above the surface of the water). Despite the near drowning, I had a great time, and the kids loved the thrill. In fact, Daniel took an oar and rowed beside me for the last 30 or so minutes of the ride.
The other lovely part of today was a sunset drive we took into Arches National Park. We'll do a much more thorough tour of the park tomorrow, but it was wonderful to get to see these awesome rock formations as the sun struck them just so. I'll attach some photos taken with a waterproof disposable camera I took on the rafting trip, as well as some of the more majestic shots from our sunset drive that I took with my faithful Canon (which only needs new batteries every 7.3 seconds).
Tomorrow, after our morning exploration of Arches, we head to Aspen. And leave 97 degree temperatures behind -- though Dana can finally stop making fun of me for packing our bathing suits :-)

5 comments:
well i guess that as it turns out,
the pool and jacuzzi conveniently
located in the back yard are not the most challenging aquatic
experiences one can have!
the trip is really getting exciting.Amy thanks for the goats, they are cute..wouldn't i look great walking one down 23rd street?
what a thrilling ride! It looks like the Gallup family swallowed most of the water. I love all the pictures, and the light on the rock formations is stunning. Have a great day exploring--can't wait to read about it tomorrow morning! Love to all Mom
Okay, okay, you win! You're pictures of the Colorado River are much more spectacular than mine! I'll stop trying to compete... :)
But seriously, what a great adventure. I'm glad you didn't get swept off the boat in that last picture. These pictures, by the way, will surely make Carlos want to drag me to some river in the next 5 minutes!
Can't wait to see more pics from Arches - it looks beautiful. Have a nice time in Aspen. We've heard it's great.
The moab pictures are fantastic; you look like you're leading your team into a Water Worldian battle beyond compare. But my guess is that if Splash Mountain is a bit much for me, Colorado River would be a no go :) I did make it through one go on the Simpsons Ride though.
All of you in the front of the boat. Good for you! You are doing it all. This has been such fun. I can't say it enough...... Spectacular! Have fun on your next few days. Love and kisses.
Post a Comment