About an hour outside of Jackson Hole, we stopped for lunch in Star Valley. At the Yankee Doodle: Red, White and Brew diner. Where freedom fries were served and even the parking spots were painted red, white, and blue. And I had "adult American cheese." And there were replicas of the Statue of Liberty all over the diner. Our waitress was fabulous, and it may have been my favorite meal of the trip. Dana and I looked at each other, as the kids played with the r,w,& b star-shaped salt and pepper shakers, and said, "now, this is a road trip." I could just imagine John McCain and Barack Obama stopping in to shake some hands and kiss some babies.
The next hour and a half, the kids added background vocals and chair dancing to our "grown-up" music, so Talking Head's "Burning Down the House" got the "burnin, burnin, burnin down my house" embellishment, and so on. The sheer joy that was taking place in the back seat was contagious, so the least scenic of our drives so far wound up being one of my favorites. That, and the fact that we crossed the Wyoming border three times! I had to say good-bye to my now beloved Wyoming three times, but I got to be welcomed back twice, so that was delightful :-)
We arrived at Park City, Utah in the late afternoon. What a great town. We could just picture the Entourage boys hanging off the balcony in the Sundance episode of our favorite HBO show. It's a charming and completely manageable place, with a long and hilly main street filled with eclectic shops and fine restaurants and a free trolly that does an endless loop if you want to take a break from climbing the hills. We'll stay here for about half the day tomorrow before heading into Moab. We haven't seen Sundance himself yet, but we haven't given up hope.
7 comments:
i think i am blog-dependant...
the mountain goats having the ability to be kind is a rare trait and i am not sure if i would know a mountain goat if i saw one ...are
there valley goats too? the joy that you are having is reaching the level of nirvana and i am having a blast. it is much like a mini series where i anxiously await the next installment.
..thanks for including me in the gallup epic!
good morning Gallup travelers! Was the lunch spot on your agenda or just a lucky stop? I'm sure Mr. Sundance will show up at some point just like the bear and mountain goats. Enjoy your day. Love Mom
Looks like everybody is having a grand old time. I could almost hear the singing. These are the moments that stay with you forever.
Have fun. Love to all.
Ron, I added a couple of photos to the left of the blog, so you, too, can now know a mountain from a valley goat if you happen upon one at Lex and 23rd.
You realize I will now expect a similar shared journey the next time you jet off to Bora Bora or some equally fabulous and exotic setting :-)
The lunch spot was a lucky stop! It had really good food, and the waitress was very nice
love, Maddie
I agree with Ron. I anticipate each day's blog entry as much as I look forward to the next episode of Dexter or the Tudors (both of which have ended for the season, so I appreciate the summer fill-in). :-)
I'm glad Maddie and Daniel are having fun on the road trip parts of the vacation. All I remember from ours is being pinched by Heather or Scott (as I had to sit between them) whenever I would doze off on one of their shoulders... What fun! :)
Nice moment in the diner :) I was reading the commencement speech excerpts in the NYT this weekend and almost teared up at Jessica Lange's snippet, which really captures why moments like this are so lovely and precious (see http://tinyurl.com/52vzxk). On our most recent trip, I sat in the quiet, cold gray light of a soon to be hot-hot-hot Austin morning and drank a perfect cup of coffee while watching my family sleep deeply and contentedly in the tangle of clean, white hotel sheets.
Post a Comment