Friday, June 13, 2008

A/OK (Corral) in Jackson Hole




Today was just what we needed. The only time we spent in the car was the ten minutes it took to get to the ranch for our late afternoon horseback ride. Of course, we did spend two hours riding a horse, but at least that was a unique mode of transportation. Other than that, we enjoyed our hotel, which is in the heart of town, the great shops (where Maddie capitalized on her unfortunate elk incident by scoring a new pair of boots and a snazzy new sweatshirt), the fabulous restaurants and the wonderful art galleries.
The highlight of our mellow day in Jackson was the horseback ride, where we got to explore the spectacular surroundings from yet another vantage point. As we weaved through the mountain, climbing about 1000 feet up from the ranch, I was reminded of Clay's comment earlier today; it did seem that our little horsebacking crew (our family + a couple from Miami - insert small world comment here) was completely alone in the universe. We passed horses and houses (what a view they must have!), but we didn't pass another human being. Even in the town square of Jackson Hole tonight, we were virtually alone. Considering 3 million people reportedly travel to Yellowstone each year, I can only speculate how we have gotten so lucky. Regardless, it has added a tremendous sense of gravity to our experiences.
My favorite moment of the day was watching Daniel evolve into a cowboy riding a horse named Desperado and Maddie transform into a cowgirl riding Excalibur. They were both so enamored with the whole adventure that it made my legs and back ache just a bit less as my horse, Hawk, made his way up and down the sometimes precarious trail. Dana, who was riding Brown Dog (?!), provided comical observations throughout, which made the time pass as we navigated the less scenic parts of the trail between each jaw-dropping view. Below I'll post a few more photos of the kids and their horses, Maddie in her new boots, and the views along the way. Tomorrow, we will drive through Idaho and into Montana to enter Yellowstone from the west. Old Faithful is in our future, so, if all goes well (it is Old Faithful, for crying out loud), you can anticipate geyser photos in Sunday morning's blog.

6 comments:

auntdiana said...

Just great! My horse(mule, the guide said I should have a more sure footed animal) was named Suzette. No, no, Suzette. She wanted to go where she wanted to go. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Love

Anonymous said...

Brown Dog... I love it.

The kids look very natural on their horses. Maybe it's time to trade up from the cats.

Great boots, Maddie!

pegclifton said...

I'm reminded of Clay's comment "When did Maddie turn 19". She looks so grown up and beautiful! Daniel is a real natural on his horse as well, and I love him in the hat. I remember when Dad and I took a 4 hour horse back ride in Colorado for my 50th birthday a loooong time ago. What wonderful views, and I can imagine Dana's humorous comments along the way--he's such a funny fellow. Enjoy, we cetainly are enjoying it thanks to the blog. Love to everyone. Mom and Dad

RON said...

maddie and daniel look like complete naturals in their equestrian pursuits...and the narration is becoming something
i look forward to reading as much as the morning times...and less corruption stories...it is so much
fun sharing this with you guys!
love ron

Unknown said...

Suzette sounds a lot like my horse Excalibur. He insisted that we stop every other second to eat some grass. I did not want to deprive him of food, but he was slowing down everyone else when he stopped to eat ( I was 2nd in line, right behind Daniel.) Daniel's horse was just as bad! He was doing the same thing as my horse, and we had to keep on jerking up their reins to keep up with the leader. There was also a dog named Buster that followed us the whole way. He spooked the horses, and our leader became upset. Despite all that our horses were awesome, and we all had a great time.

Love to all, Maddie

Anonymous said...

I remember horseback riding in the Tetons with great fondness. We still say "No, no Suzette," when something isn't going as we'd like it to. :)
I love Maddie's boots and after seeing that picture of her I will anticipate seeing her on the pages of Lucky magazine very shortly - a model in the making! And one with brains! What are the odds??
I have to agree with Ron about the blog. We so look forward to the daily update and I know we'll miss it when your trip comes to an end.
Can't wait to see and hear about Old Faithful tomorrow morning!!!! Lots of love. K&C